You are here: EXERCISE, FITNESS & HEALTH
EXERCISE for FITNESS and HEALTH
Here are 14 good reasons to make the time to exercise:
- Reduces risk of cardiovascular disease
- Improves circulation
- Reduces high blood pressure
- Improves cholesterol levels - lowers LDL (bad) and raises HDL (good)
- Helps digestion and bowel regularity
- Helps elimination of toxins through sweating
- Helps balance blood sugar levels
- Helps boost brain chemicals to improve mood and
- Helps relieve depression
- Helps relieve stress
- Helps relieve sleeplessness
- Helps strengthen the musculo-skeletal system
- Weight-bearing exercise helps promote bone density
- Helps boost metabolism, burn calories, and lose weight
- Boosts production and maintains antioxidant enzymes in response to increased free radicals
Of course these are not the only reasons. People who go to gyms, play sport, go to dance classes, yoga, pilates, aerobics, and other such activities have the added social benefits of meeting with other people. And exercising outdoors generally gives access to fresh air, as well as greater exposure to sunshine which helps provide the body with vitamin D.
Bear in mind that over-exertion can suppress the immune system, which is why athletes can become more prone to infection, and that it can also add to the free radical load in the body. If you exercise a great deal or regularly over-exert yourself it is a good idea to increase your antioxidant intake.
Looking at the reasons to exercise given above, you can see the difference between being active rather than sedentary when it comes to maintaining good health. Exercise can come in many different forms ... you don't have to run a marathon or climb Mount Everest! Provided you have no physical problems that absolutely exclude it, make sure you find the time to get regular exercise, ideally no less than three times a week. This can be as simple as a brisk walk that raises your heart rate for 20-30 minutes.
Don't forget to re-hydrate!